Careers in the South African Police Service
The South African Police Service (SAPS) falls under the
Department of Safety and Security. The Constitution of the
Republic of South Africa, 1996 states that the aims of the
police service are to prevent, combat and investigate crime; to
maintain public order; to protect and secure the inhabitants of
the Republic and their property; and to uphold and enforce the
The Vision of the SAPS is to create a safe and secure
environment for all people in South Africa.
The Mission of the SAPS is to prevent anything that
may threaten the safety or security of any community; to
investigate any crimes that threaten the safety or security of
any community; to ensure criminals are brought to justice; and
to participate in efforts to address the root causes of crime.
The SAPS upholds the following values:
- To protect everyone’s rights.
- To not discriminate against any person.
- To be respectful, open and accountable to the community.
- To use the powers given to us in a responsible way.
- To do our duties with honesty and integrity and to
ensure that we deliver a good service.
- To evaluate our service and to do everything we can to
- To use our resources in the best way possible.
- To develop the skills of all our members by giving them
- To cooperate with the community, the Government and
Careers in the SAPS
The SAPS offers careers in various fields. If you join the
SAPS you can either become a police official or a civilian
employee. Police officials are employed in terms of the South
African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No 68 of 1995). Civilian
employees are employed in terms of the Public Service Act, 1994
(Act No 103 of 1994).
back to top
Most functional police officials are directly involved
preventing, combating or investigating crime. Other police
officials and civilian personnel carry out support functions at
divisions and components of the SAPS such as -
- National Evaluation Service;
- Career Management;
- Personnel Services;
- Legal Services;
- Financial Services;
- Efficiency Services;
- Strategic Management;
- Information and Systems Management; and
- Communication and Liaison Services.
A product of SAPS Communication Planning, Research and
P/Bag X 94, PRETORIA, 0001. 2004
back to top