National Firearms Call Centre
+27 12 353 6111
Police Emergency Nr
Crime Prevention : Safety Tips
In Your Car
- Never drive around with valuables (like your cellphone,
handbag, shopping bag or briefcase) on the passenger seat -
they could be snatched through a smashed window, even while
your car is moving. Always keep your doors locked while in
- When leaving your car, do not hide your valuables under
car seats or in the cubbyhole (glove compartment) - these are
the first places criminals will check. And never ever leave a
firearm unattended in your car!
- Whenever leaving or arriving at your destination -
- look out for any suspicious persons. If you spot someone
suspicious, do whatever you can to avoid him/her and notify
the police immediately.
- do not get out of your car to check malfunctioning
electric gates/garage doors. Criminals often damage/jam these
to lure you from your vehicle.
- Always keep friends and family notified of your intended
whereabouts and what time you expect to return. Think of
starting a "cellclub" with your neighbours - call your
neighbour from your cellphone as you approach home - look
after them and let them look after you! It is an idea that has
worked very well in communities where it has been tried.
- When stopping at stop streets or red traffic lights, keep
a close watch for any suspicious pedestrians/vendors close to
you. If you notice any, observe their movements closely and
let them see that you are watching them.
- If another vehicle collides with the rear of your vehicle,
check the occupants through your rear-view mirrors before
getting out of your car. If they look suspicious, drive to the
nearest police station and report the incident immediately.
- If you see a body or a suspicious-looking accident at the
side of the road, do not stop to inspect it. Rather drive to
the nearest telephone/safe place quickly and safely contact
the emergency services and police and inform them of the
incident and its location.
- If all else fails and an armed person tries to rob you of
your vehicle or property, NEVER offer any resistance.
Valuables are replaceable, but your life is not. Simply remain
calm and try to memorize as many details of your attackers as
possible. As soon as you are able to, contact the police to
report the incident.
back to top