National Firearms Call Centre
+27 12 353 6111
Police Emergency Nr
Crime Prevention : Safety Tips
Warning signs for parents of the several possible gang
- Changes in manner of dress (child always wears the same
- Use of nicknames.
- Dropping old friends and activities and making new ones.
- Use of slang.
- Possession of unexpectedly large sums of money,
jewellery and new clothing.
- Possession of weapons.
- Can't account for their whereabouts when asked.
- Mood swings and the use of hand signs and graffiti.
What parents can do:
- Know where your child is at all times.
- Enforce a curfew.
- Check for weapons and drugs in your child's bedroom.
- Form a neighbourhood watch programme in your area.
- Show affection and support for your child, or a gang
- Develop some type of responsibility in your child.
- Don't always point out your child's failures.
- Make them feel good about themselves.
- If your child is doing poorly at school, understand that
it could be your fault.
- Become more active in school functions.
- Take a strong stand against gangs.
- Show love to your child.
- Keep an open line of communication with your child, and
at all costs notify the local police of any rumours of
upcoming gang violence.
back to top