Crime Prevention : Safety Tips
Prevent smash and grab incidents
Some pleasant rides have been turned into nightmares by
people who pounce on unsuspecting drivers. They smash the window
or open the unlocked door and grab whatever they regard as of
Whether your vehicle is moving or stationary, bear the
following in mind:
- Don't leave your cell phone or other valuables where
they are visible in the car. This will attract thieves who
may break your car window.
- Lock all your doors and close all the windows. Thieves
steal handbags and other valuables by opening car doors or
even breaking windows while the car is stationary at traffic
lights or stuck in slow moving traffic.
- Do not have bags, briefcases visible in the vehicle.
Lock all valuables in the boot of your car or behind the
seat if it is a bakkie.
- Be constantly on the lookout for suspicious looking
characters. Do not hesitate to report them to the police.
- When approaching the red traffic light at night, slow
down so that you can only reach it when it turns green.
- Be wary of people standing at traffic lights or
intersections. They may be innocent but perpetrators mix
with these people while waiting for an opportunity to
- Never open your vehicle window or door for any stranger.
- If you encounter obstacles in the road eg. rocks, tyres
etc. do not get out of your vehicle to remove them. Rather
reverse and drive in the opposite direction.
- Thieves target car parks. Always park your car in
attended parking lots.
- When parking at night ensure that you always park in a
- Never sit in your vehicle without being conscious of
- Sleeping in a stationary vehicle is particularly
- Always remove radios, CD or cassette players if
- Never leave children alone in a vehicle, not even for a
moment. Let them accompany you.
back to top