National Firearms Call Centre
+27 12 353 6111
Police Emergency Nr
Crime Prevention : Safety Tips
- Plan your visits in advance. Get advice from your hotel or
nearest local tourist information office.
- Where possible, use registered, qualified and recognised
At Your Accommodation
- Do not leave your luggage and belongings unattended.
- Store valuables in the hotelís safe at reception or in
your roomís safe (if supplied).
- Always keep your hotel room and any sliding door or
- Never open your room door unless you have identified the
person who has knocked on your door. If in doubt contact
reception for verification.
- It is advisable to hand in the keys to your room at
reception when going out.
- Do not entertain the advances or undesirable, strange or
suspicious persons. Report such people to management.
- Use the main entrance of the hotel when you arrive late at
On the Street
- Follow the applicable general tips.
- If possible, plan your route beforehand.
- Where possible, explore the streets in groups and stick to
well-lit, busy streets.
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert.
- Walk on or close to the curb and face on-coming traffic.
- Avoid alleyways and dense shrubs and bushes.
- Use credit cards instead of cash where possible.
- Avoid ostentatious displays of wealth.
- If you need information, ask a traffic officer, police
officer, security officer or shopkeeper.
- Avoid jogging or cycling alone and at night. Plan your
route beforehand. Vary your routine and route.
- If you need to make use of a taxi, ask your hotel or the
local tourism information office to recommend a reliable
service to you.
back to top