Crime Prevention : Safety Tips
Safety in a vehicle |
Safety Awareness when parking |
Agressive driving behaviour
Safety Awareness in a Vehicle
- Ensure that your vehicle is in a good condition when you
plan to go on a journey.
- Ensure that the fuel tank of your vehicle always has
- Always lock your vehicles doors and keep the windows
- Do not leave your vehicle unlocked, even if you think
you will be away for only a minute.
- Avoid to stop at remote places.
- Park your vehicle in places that are well lit.
- If a stranger wants to talk to you while in your
vehicle, do not open the window wide -only 5 cm is enough to
have a discussion.
- If something seems suspicious, do not talk to strangers,
rather be rude and drive away.
- Limit your trips at night or at least take someone along
- Vary the route you travel to work and back, if this is
- If approached by a stranger while in your car, drive off
if possible or press your hooter to attract attention.
- If strangers loiter near or at your driveway, rather
drive past. If they loiter for a long time, report it to
your nearest police station.
- Car jackers may stage a minor accident so they can
approach your car.
- If your car is bumped from behind and you do not feel
comfortable with the individual(s) involved in the
situation, drive to the nearest police station for help.
- Do not reach for your purse or valuables. Leave
everything behind if forced from the car.
- Your life is more valuable than your possessions.
- Do not resist, especially if the thief has a weapon.
- Give up your vehicle with no questions asked and move
- A lift club limits the risk of becoming a victim of
- Do not give strangers a lift.
- A gear lock is an affordable and a very effective
- If possible, put up a mirror against the front wall of
your garage to see if someone is following you into the
- Do not open your garage doors before your gates are
SAFETY AWARENESS WHEN PARKING/DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE
- Avoid parking your motor vehicle where there are no
security officers guarding other cars.
- Do not leave your firearm in the motor vehicle=s glove
compartment (cubbyhole) or anywhere in the vehicle when you
park the vehicle (this is against the law!).
- Make sure that all the doors and windows are properly
locked when you park your car.
- Valuable items like a laptop and camera should be put in
the boot of your car.
- Be aware of people coming to you and informing you that
you have a flat tire, the intention can be to steal items
that they see inside the car or rob your car.
- Always close your windows when driving in the city
- Do not open your windows for hawkers along the road and
at the robots.
- Keep the doors locked and windows closed at all times.
- Do not use a cellular phone unless you have a hands-free
- Lock your valuables in the cars boot before departure.
- At night, park in well-lit areas.
- If in doubt about the safety of an area, phone a police
station for advice.
- Practice the same prevention skills you apply in parking
lots or garages at home.
- Become familiar with your route before you start the
- Get a map of the route and study it.
- Store luggage in the cars boot where it is out of sight.
- Do not leave your goods/valuable items visible in the
- Do not leave your handbag/briefcase visible in the car.
- Do not leave your keys in the ignition.
- Always lock the doors and close the windows when getting
out of the car.
- Remove detachable radios and the radio=s face when
getting out of the car.
- Try to fit an alarm and/or anti-theft device in your
- Have your keys ready in your hand as you approach your
car, especially if they are difficult to find in your
- Parking lots with a parking attendant or supervision/
someone patrolling are best, otherwise try to park in
locations that are well lit and/or well populated and not
crowded by bushes or buildings where offenders might hide.
ROAD SAFETY: AGGRESSIVE DRIVING BEHAVIOUR
The followings aspects might trigger aggressive behaviour:
- Following too close to the vehicle in front.
- Passing vehicles on the right.
- Cutting in and out of traffic and failing to signal
while engaging in multiple lane changes.
- Crossing safety markings while merging onto ramps.
- Failing to yield at ramps and intersections.
- Violating railroad crossings.
- Displaying or using a weapon.
- Displaying aggressive or obscene gestures.
- Slow moving traffic in fast lanes, etc
The following hints are applicable:
- Do not react to provocation.
- Stay away from erratic drivers.
- Avoid eye contact with an aggressive driver.
- Use your hooter sparingly.
- Do not flash your headlights.
- Do not make obscene gestures.
- Do not change lanes without using your indicator.
- Do not drive too close to the vehicle in front of you.
- Do not block lanes
back to top