SAPS Profile | Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics of the South African Police Service
Ethical policing demands that we as employees of the South
African Police Service act with integrity and respect for
people’s diversity and the law, thereby enhancing service
excellence to the approval of the public.
As members of the South African Police Service we will perform
our duties according to the following principles:
- Application: Employees of the SAPS regard the
truth as being of the utmost importance.
- Explanation: We, as the employees of the SAPS,
continually strive to uphold the mission, values, ethical
principles and ethical standards of the SAPS. We will behave
in a manner, which is consistent with these values. We will
act honestly and responsibly in all situations. We will
always tell the truth, perform our duties with noble motives
and set an example in the communities we serve.
- Respect for diversity
- Application: Employees of the SAPS acknowledge
the diversity of the people of our country and treat every
person with equal respect.
- Explanation: In performing our duties, we will
always show respect for the cultural and other diversities
in the community. We will treat every person with equal
respect and honour their rights as inhabitants of South
Africa. We will not unlawfully discriminate against any
- Obedience of the law
- Application: Employees of the SAPS respect and
uphold the law at all times.
- Explanation: Our duties mainly involve enforcing
the law, and in our application of the law we will always
stay within the law and Constitution of our country. We
will, at all costs, avoid any conduct which would make us
violators of the law. We will protect the inhabitants of
South Africa against unlawful actions.
- Service excellence
- Application: Employees of the SAPS work towards
- Explanation: We will, at all times, perform our
duties to the best of our abilities. Our conduct will bear
the mark of professionalism. Our conduct and appearance will
be proof of our commitment to service excellence.
- Public approval
- Application: Employees of the SAPS always work
with and for the approval of the community.
- Explanation: We will serve the best interest of
the community, seeking the approval of the broad community
in everything we do.
back to top