Links FAQ's
saps banner
Reporting a Crime

This service is provided to any person who is a victim of crime.  To report a crime is free of charge and all the necessary documentation will be completed by a police official.

A case docket will be opened and the crime will be investigated, effect the arrest of suspects and present the case to the courts for prosecution.

When you have been a victim of crime, you can contact the police by dialing 10111 in case of an emergency or going to your nearest police station to report the crime. To find the physical address of your nearest police station - click here.

If police officials attend the crime scene, they will obtain a statement from you and witnesses if possible.  The police official will register the case in the SAPS Crime Administration System (CAS) at the police station.  The complainant will receive a CAS number via SMS or telephonic that needs to be kept as reference for future enquiries regarding the criminal case.

If you visit the local police station to report a crime, you will be attended to in the Community Service Centre by a police official.  The police official will first interview you and then take a statement from you.  The reported crime will be registered in the CAS.  You will be given a CAS number which must be used for all enquiries regarding the reported criminal case.

The completed case docket is allocated to a police detective who will carry out the investigation.  All enquiries can be directed to the detective.

The detective in charge of the particular case will complete the investigation and present the docket to the relevant court for prosecution.  The detective will keep you informed of any progress including when to attend the court hearings.